Monday 5 July 2010

Enterprise Course

Today I went on a course provided by a local grant-funded enterprise establishment, on starting up a business.

It was a general awareness course so covered a few subjects like registering with the inland revenue and what type of trader to register as and the tax implications of that choice. It also covered sources of funding and business plans but not in great detail.

Unfortunately, most of the tax stuff, I already knew but it did give me a brief outline of business plan writing so I can give it a try before my one to one session with a business advisor on Friday.

There's more courses available free of charge, too so I will definitely be attending those!

The one point to mention is business names. If you're thinking of starting a business, research your name. There's lots of marketing pointers of this too ie. try and get a name that says what it is you do and if you can localise it too even better! but fundamentally, make sure the name is not already in use, for a similar trade, in your area or you could be sued and made to change it.

More to come on business plans!

No comments:

Post a Comment